Thursday, February 3, 2011

VFW and Boondoggles

I have no idea if that is spelled correctly or not but that's the word!  LOL
Last night at our monthly VFW meeting, I was installed as the Ladies Auxiliary President.  I wasn't supposed to be president already.  I was the jr. vice pres. and was supposed to have another year to learn the ropes.  But due to health issues, our treasurer resigned her position.  Our president resigned to become the treasurer.  The sr. vice pres. didn't feel like she has the time or energy to commit to being president so it fell to me.  Of course, no one gave me any warning that it was coming.  They just sprang it on me at meeting last month!!  I'm willing to do it, I just have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing!!!!!  There are several past presidents that come to our regular meetings and also several past District presidents so I'm in good hands.  I look forward to the challenge.
My focus for the year will be on finding and recruiting the families of the 116th Brigade.  The 116th is deployed to Iraq right now.  It's the 1st deployment for a LOT of them.  I want to make sure the families left behind know there is a support system for them, they don't have to be alone!!  My cousin is the Mom of one of the men deployed.  I'm sure she can help get in touch with others.
So that was the VFW part of the title.  Now on to the Boondoggle part.  <sigh>  I really, truly am a very capable craft person.  Give me material, yarn, thread, paper, whatever and I'll make something out of it.  But last night I was at a complete loss!!!  Our new jr. vice pres. tried to teach me how to start making a boondoggle (you know, those braided looking things boys make at Scout camp).  I. Just. Could. Not. Get. It.!!!!!!!  Once she started it for me, I caught on to how it is made but the beginning just had me flummoxed!!  It wasn't until I was looking at it again this morning that I finally got it!!  I haven't tried to start one yet today but I know I'll be able to!!  My brain just had to figure it out and I think it had too much to think about last night to fit one more thing in!!!
We're making key chains for the veterans at the VA home.  I'm not sure what holiday these are for but we try to do things throughout the year for them (bookmarks for Valentine's Day this year, "crackers" for the 4th of July, etc.).  We also provide cake mixes and frosting for everyone's birthdays throughout the year.  It doesn't seem like a lot but these men and women are so grateful for the attention!!  The home is about 70 miles away so I don't get down there very often but I'm going to be going much more often in my role as president.  I look forward to it.  I love being around older people and listening to their stories.  There is so much to learn from their knowledge and experiences!!!

I found some photos of boondoggles so you know what I'm talking about.  :-)

           boondoggle

No comments:

Post a Comment