Saturday, February 26, 2011

Life Changing Experiences

How do you know if one particular moment in your life is going to be *that* moment that will change your life forever? Usually we don't. We look back and say "aahhhh.... yes, that was the moment I changed". So, will I look back a year from now, 5 years, 10 years, and say "yep, that's the moment."? I don't know but I hope so.
My day started by getting up far too early for a Saturday!! I even showered, put on nylons, a skirt, shirt and high heels, did my make-up and my hair and was out the door just after 9am. What in the world could do that?? An invitation to listen and learn from our beloved General Relief Society President Julie B. Beck. The invitation was open to all women and young women ages 16 and older in 46 Stakes in our Region. To come and be edified and uplifted. To learn and to grow. I am so grateful that I accepted that invitation. I almost didn't. It's Saturday and it's usually my don't-get-out-of-my-pajamas-until-noon-or-later day. But I decided this invitation was far more important than the invitation from my cozy, warm bed. :-)
I didn't know what the format for the meeting was to be. I thought we would have a few speakers, a few musical numbers and be done. Instead, we had the opportunity to ask questions and get answers. Anyone could go up to the microphone and ask a question. The questions asked were all very good. I thought at first that some of them didn't apply to me because they were aimed at other demographics (single women, single moms, latinas, etc.). But as I listened to Sister Beck's replies, I learned something from every single one.
The most important one for me today (and who knows, a different question might have caught my attention more on a different day) was "how do we find balance between our spiritual and temporal lives?" It's a question I've asked myself many times and part of my searching that I've been doing lately. Sister Beck's answer was fairly long but the main point was that we need to prioritize. Scripture study, prayers, temple attendance, etc. are essential. There are things we have to do like cook, clean, taxi, etc. And then there are nice, fun things like reading a book, working on a hobby, etc. We need to put the essential things first, and do the things we have to do, then we will find time to do the nice things. And we will find balance. I've been very out of balance lately. Since about Christmas time. It's time to get back into balance. She said your personal best is acceptable to the Lord. He knows what our desires are and what we can do.
One of the other things she said, in reply to a different question, is to have joy in this life. FIND the joy despite the challenges we face. I've heard that said before. But today it struck my heart. When I came home, I was able to find joy in a place I've never found it before- housework. ***Confession time**** I have realized over the past few weeks that I actually don't mind doing the housework as much as I moan and groan about it. I like having a clean house (who doesn't???) and I don't mind doing up the dishes or picking up a bit after the kids sometimes. I do mind that work being undone so quickly, though!! :-) So when I needed to help my youngest clean up her room, I purposely found joy in it. And I pointed out to my daughter how nice it was to have such a clean room. I will try to continue to do that so my children don't think of it as drudgery.
Another question was "how do I know what the Lord wants me to do with my talents when I've been working for so long on achieving specific things?" Or in other words "Am I going in the right direction with my talents or does God have a different plan for me?" This is one I struggle with sometimes. I do a LOT of things. The Lord has blessed me with many talents. I struggle because I want to share my talents with others and I'm not often given that opportunity. Sister Beck said that sometimes our greatest trials in life will come from wanting to use our talents in a way that is different from the Lord's plan. We need to improve our talents and seek the Lord's will through prayer as to how He wants us to use them. He owns our talents, He is the one who gave those talents to us. If we seek His will, we will know where we can best use the talents we have been given.
Right now, I am using my talent for sewing to make aprons. Strange, you might think. Every year our Relief Society has a service auction. We offer certain services up for bid and people use "money" they have earned by the services they have performed over the past month or so and by having done other things like saying personal prayers, scripture study, etc. It's always a ton of fun!! I taught a class on basic apron sewing a few weeks ago. It was a big enough hit that I decided to make some aprons for the service auction. So I'm using my talent to make something as a service to someone else. To me, it's a very small thing. I love to sew, I'm pretty good at it (30+ years experience will do that for you!) and it doesn't take long to whip up some really cute aprons!! But to someone else who doesn't know how to sew or doesn't have the time or resources, it might be a big thing!
There was so much more that I can't possibly put it all in a blog post!! I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to go and participate in this conference!!! I needed to hear so many of the things that were said! I will do my best to make sure it is one of those life changing experiences!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting. She is certainly called of God for this time for His daughters.

    ReplyDelete