Friday, March 11, 2011

World Events

I'm supposed to be decorating a couple of cakes for the twins' birthday today.  Instead I'm sitting glued to the computer screen watching videos of the tsunami coming in on the Oregon Coast.  It's where I grew up.  I spent a lot of hours in the Gold Beach and Brookings harbors.  I can't really explain how I feel about what has happened.  The Brookings harbor has been devastated.  I haven't heard about Gold Beach but I know the tsunami hit there, too.  
Growing up, we had a LOT of tsunami warnings.  I remember one especially.  My Mom, brothers and I had gone to Brookings for youth group.  Dad called the church and told Mom there was a tsunami warning because of an earthquake.  They decided the best thing would be to get home as quickly as possible since the road may have become impassable if hit by the wave.  It was a tense ride home.  We were watching the ocean as much as possible (especially through Pistol River!!), just waiting for that wave to come.  It never did.  
As long as I lived there, despite numerous warnings, there was never a tsunami and hardly a surge from far away earthquakes.  So this morning has really shaken me unexpectedly.  I live more than 1000 miles away from there now.  And yet, I'm .......... what's the word??.......... heart-sick?  Sick?  Heart-broken?  I don't know how to explain it.  I pray that all my friends still in that area are safe!!
I've posted videos and photos on my FaceBook page.  I'm not sure how to get the videos on to my blog.  Here are a couple photos of the damage done at the Brookings harbor.

brookings_harbor.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment