Monday, March 14, 2011

The Terminator

I visited the Terminator today.  His name is Judge Walker.  After reviewing the paperwork that was signed by birth parents, he put his signature to the papers and terminated their parental rights to our little Jared!!!  Which opens the way for us to finally adopt him!!  It has been an incredibly good day!!  I got to tell Jared that he gets to be our son, not our foster child, not our nephew, but our own son!  He was so excited!!!
Confession- For the past year, I have been guarding myself against the possibility that Jared would be returned to his mother.  It has happened before and there were no guarantees this time, either.  We knew that since the State was involved, it would be harder for his birth mother to regain custody of him.  And she made it even harder for herself by violating her parole and being sent to the State Prison.  But, until today, it was still a possibility even though it was getting smaller and smaller every passing week.  I didn't want to let myself get too attached (whatever that really is) and then have to send him back to his birth mother.
There was a total shift in my feelings today.  It wasn't a conscience decision, it wasn't even something I really recognized until late in the day.
I walked into the courthouse this morning and didn't find anyone (I was only 5 minutes early).  Our case worker from Health and Welfare showed up just a few minutes later.  She told me that she had the signed paperwork from the birth mother and the court already had the paperwork from the birth father.  I had no idea it was done!!!!!  I knew they had agreed to sign but didn't realize it was actually *done*.  I nearly jumped up and down I was so excited!!  We went in, sat down and waited for the judge.  My neighbor walked into the court room.  It took me a second or two to remember that he was the birth mother's lawyer.
The judge came in, opened court and got the birth mother on the phone.  He asked a few questions to make sure signing the papers were done by her free choice.  She was very calm on the phone and seemed collected (unlike in January).  She confirmed everything and the judge put his signature on the papers.  Then the judge called the birth father and went through the same procedure!  I was ready to bawl my eyes out!
We left the court room immediately so the judge could move on to the next case.  I was floating!!!  So happy!!!  Our case worker said she would send all the paperwork over to the adoption case worker and he would get moving on it.  He was out of the office today but I'm going to call him tomorrow and bug him like crazy to get the paperwork done as quickly as possible!!
I went to pick up the 2 children and I got to tell Jared that he gets to be our son now!  He was again so excited!!!!  Looking back at the day, that change in my feelings and attitude started as soon as the judge signed those papers.  And it showed itself when I hugged Jared like I would Ronan or Isabeau instead of holding back like I have for the past year.  And all through the day it was like that.  I can't even explain everything I have recognized in myself today.  It is a good change and one I am so grateful for!!  One worry I have had is if I would be able to treat him completely like I do the other children.  Today proved that, yes, I will!!!!!!!
Now, ON TO ADOPTION!!!!!!!



This is the actual courtroom we were in!!  I was seated in the front bench here in the center.  It is an amazing, historic building.  And even more important, it will be where our adoption will be finalized!!

No comments:

Post a Comment